Working on the farm and / or maintaining our site
Could you help on our yards and in our stables, keeping the grass clean, repairing our fencing, keeping the site clean and safe for our visitors? Can you drive a farm vehicle or operate a tractor?
These are vital areas of work for us and we are always in need of supporters who have an interest in this type of work.
Meet and greet our visitors 1000hrs – 1630hrs:
‘Meet and Greet’ is the name we give to our visitor liaison work. Volunteers have a full range of activities under this heading, which include…
- Opening the gates at opening time and ensure the signage is in place.
- Checking that the visitor facilities are clean, tidy and operating.
- Ensuring that visitors park in appropriate and safe parking places in the car park.
- Welcoming visitors, and pointing out the location of donkeys.
- Distributing information leaflets to all visitors.
- Meeting coaches and offering information to coach drivers and groups.
- Taking guided tours round the site where appropriate.
This work is one of the most important things we do as it is the first contact with visitors. It requires good communication skills, a pleasant disposition and the ability to stay calm in busy periods.
Volunteers will be expected to liaise with senior managers on site. You will be given training, the opportunity to learn about our animals and,after a trial period, a uniform.
Shop and Café
Volunteers who work in the shop and cafe carry out a variety of activities. These include…
- Welcoming visitors
- Taking orders
- Waiting on tables
- Serving at the till
- Giving information about products
- Cleaning tables
Volunteers will be trained and offered the opportunity to complete Health and Hygiene training, leading to a recognized Health & Hygiene Certificate.
Volunteers will be responsible to the shop and cafe manager.
Volunteers will be expected to have a pleasant disposition, an engaging personality and be able to represent the donkey sanctuary in a positive manner to visitors.
Doris’s Department Store
Doris’s department store is a vital part of the fundraising work we do. In the store we sell:
- Ice Cream
- High Quality,donated gifts, housewares.
- Fundraising Packs
We require volunteers who enjoy meeting the public, engaging visitors and selling the products contained in the store.
The drive this year is to recruit ‘Fab Fundraisers’
Volunteers will receive training, including till training, and will receive a uniform after a trial period.